Hurricane season can be a stressful time for Florida homeowners. In order to protect their homes from strong winds and debris, they need to invest in impact windows. Impact windows are specially designed to withstand hurricane force winds and flying debris. In this blog, we’ll provide the key information you need to make an informed decision about impact windows, as well as a must-have hurricane impact windows checklist.
What are Hurricane Impact Windows?
These windows are made of thick, shatter-proof glass, reinforced with a heavy-duty frame. This combination makes them strong enough to up to 200 mph winds and protect your home from damage. Impact windows also offer benefits such as energy efficiency and noise reduction.
These windows come in a variety of styles, so you can choose the ones that match the aesthetic of your home. Whether you’re looking for traditional double-hung windows, sliding glass doors, or casement windows, there’s an impact-rated option for you.
Benefits of Installing Impact Windows
Hurricane resistant windows are a great way to protect your home from the dangers of hurricane season. Not only do they offer protection against high winds, but they also provide other benefits, such as:
- Increased Energy Efficiency: Impact windows are designed to be airtight, which means they can help keep your home at a comfortable temperature without having to run the air conditioner all day. This can reduce your energy bills significantly.
- Improved Security: Impact windows are difficult to break into, which means they can help deter intruders. This can provide added peace of mind for you and your family.
- Noise Reduction: These windows are designed to reduce outside noise, so you can keep your home quieter. This is especially beneficial for those living in noisy areas.
- Increase Your Property Value: Impact windows are an attractive feature for potential buyers. Installing them can increase the value of your home, making it easier to sell in the future.
How do You Know When You Need New Windows in Florida?
When living in Florida, one of the most important aspects of your home is your windows. They not only help to keep your home safe and secure, but also can help to regulate the temperature in your home, making it more comfortable and energy efficient. Knowing the signs that you need new windows can help you to save money in the long run, as they can be costly to replace. Here are some signs that you need new windows in Florida.
One of the most obvious signs that you need new windows in Florida is if you can feel a draft coming through the window. If you can feel air coming through the window, it likely means that the seal broke and the window is no longer providing adequate insulation. This can cause your energy bills to be much higher than they should be.
Another sign that you need new windows in Florida is if you notice that your windows are becoming increasingly difficult to open and close. This can be a sign of wear and tear, as the tracks may be starting to fail. Keep in mind that this is also a security concern, as it can be more difficult to properly lock your doors and windows.
If you notice that your windows are beginning to look old and worn out, it may be time to replace them. Windows can start to look dingy after a few years in Florida, due to the hot, humid climate. This can not only affect the appearance of your home, but can also decrease the value.
Finally, if you notice any condensation or frost on your windows in Florida, it is a clear sign that it’s time for new window installation. Replacing the windows can help to reduce your energy bills, as well as provide the insulation that your home needs.
What to Consider When Choosing Impact Windows
When choosing impact windows for your home, there are several factors to consider. Here are some of the key points to consider:
- Size: Knowing the correct size of your new windows will dramatically improve the installation process. A window replacement professional can help with this.
- Style: Impact windows come in a variety of styles, such as double-hung, casement, and sliding glass doors. Choose the style that best fits the aesthetic of your home.
- Price: Impact windows can be expensive, but they’re an investment in the long-term value of your home. Make sure to compare prices and look for deals to get the best deal.
- Installation: Impact windows must be installed correctly in order to be effective. Even a small mismeasurement can greatly decrease your window’s performance.
The Must-Have Hurricane Impact Windows Checklist
When it comes to hurricane impact windows, there are a few things you should check to ensure you’re getting the best product for your home. Here’s a checklist of the must-have items you should consider:
- Make sure the windows are rated for hurricane-force winds. Most impact windows are rated for up to 140 mph+ winds.
- Ensure the windows are reinforced with heavy-duty frames. This will help to ensure they’re strong enough to withstand any storm.
- Look for windows with additional features, such as UV protection and noise reduction. These features can help to keep your home comfortable and quiet.
- Make sure the windows are energy-efficient. This will help to keep your energy bills low.
- Check for ratings from independent organizations, such as the American Architectural Manufacturers Association. This will ensure the windows meet industry standards.
Choosing the Right Window Company
When it comes to impact windows, it’s important to find a reliable window company to handle the installation. Ask for referrals from friends and family, and read online reviews to get a better idea of the company’s reputation. You should also check to make sure the company is properly licensed and insured.
Once you’ve narrowed down your options, you should get quotes from each company. Compare the quotes to get the best deal, but make sure to check that the company is using quality materials and offering a good warranty.
Questions to Ask Before Buying Impact Windows
Before you buy impact windows, there are a few important questions you should ask. Here are some of the key points to consider:
- What type of glass is used? Make sure the windows are made of tempered or laminated glass, as these are the strongest and most durable.
- How thick is the glass? The thicker the glass, the stronger the window will be.
- Are the windows properly insulated? This will help to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient.
- Do your windows have a warranty? Make sure you get a good warranty in case anything goes wrong with the windows.
Checking the Installation Quality
Once you’ve chosen the right impact windows for your home, you should ensure the installation is done correctly. Make sure the windows are properly sealed and that the frames are securely fastened. There should be no air leaks or rainwater coming through the windows. The most common places where you will find leaks is the sash, the sill, and where the sash meets the sill.
If you’re not confident in your ability to check the installation quality, this is where Storm Pro Window and Door can help. We are the experts at hurricane impact window installation.
What Can You Expect to Pay for Impact Windows?
The cost of impact windows can vary depending on the size, style, and quality of the windows. Make sure to get quotes from several companies and compare the prices. You should also factor in the cost of installation and any additional features, such as UV protection and noise reduction.
In most cases, the upfront cost of impact windows is worth it in the long run. Not only will you be protecting your home from hurricanes, but you’ll also be lowering your energy bills and increasing the value of your home.
Hurricane Resistant Window Installation by Storm Pro Window and Door
Impact windows are essential for Florida homeowners, as they provide protection against hurricane-force winds and flying debris. When choosing impact windows, there are several factors to consider, such as size, style, and price.
If you’re looking for impact windows in Florida, contact Storm Pro Window and Door. We specialize in hurricane impact resistant windows and doors, and we offer competitive prices and exceptional customer service. Get in touch today to learn more about our impact windows and get a free quote.